Friday, June 18, 2010

Project 5 - Lydia Top with folded ruffle




Success! I embarked on an epic journey over more than a week of attempting to make this top (no it really doesn't take that long to sew! I blame the short attention span and busy-ness of life for it taking so long).

As usual this is all based on my beloved Lydia pattern from BurdaStyle with a slight twist. I found this great tutorial at Sew and So (which was actually linked from Sewing@CraftGossip) to make this really interesting ruffle detail you see down the front. On the tutorial it was actually used on the neckline of a top but I really wanted to use it to dress up the front of an otherwise plain top. There aren't too many differences between the original tutorial and my adaptation but I'll give you a little spiel anyway.

I started by cutting out the fabric according to the Lydia Pattern as normal and keeping just the front piece handy to measure against.

I measured how long I wanted the ruffles to reach down the front of the top which was 24 centimetres (just like the fake Grandpa style top I made). I started off by cutting 3 strips of fabric 36 centimetres long by 3 centimetres wide (because this was all the continuous fabric I had left) but soon realised with all the folding and pinning that I was rapidly running out of fabric (oops!). I had to cut out some more strips and sew them to the bottom and hope that the stitching magically fell on the underside of a fold (which 2 out of the 3 did!). For this reason I suggest you start with double the length of fabric for the strips so you don't have to go through that process.

Then I pinned them together like so:

I made sure to leave 1.5 centimetres at the top of the fabric strip so it would sit nicely underneath the edging along the neckline. I also made the middle strip one folded ruffle longer because this is how I wanted it to look on the top.

This was the point at which I went back to the tutorial and realised that I was actually meant to be pinning it to the top as I went (oops!). So instead I lined them up on the front piece of the top and pinned between the folds. Once I had all 3 strips of fabric attached I was ready to sew in a straight line down the strips.




Once all that was done it was time to sew up the top as normal and VOILA I had me a pretty blue folded ruffle top!

I hope you love this just as much as I do!
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Hi! Just found you over on BurdaStyle. I love this top you made! I got a sewing machine for my birthday a couple of weeks ago and I'm desperate to sew jersey but I'm slighty scared of the stretchiness, haha. I love your blog name, btw. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you used it! I may have to borrow that idea back from you sometime, and I'm glad the tutorial was useful for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca it's funny you say that because I've only ever sewed with Jersey and I've really gotten a feel for it, to the point where I'm a little scared to sew with anything else!

    Basically if you find a Jersey needle for your machine and you commit to spending about 10 minutes with a scrap of jersey figuring out your tension before attempting to add a pattern into the mix you should be fine! (This process is much easier if you have a top you already own made of jersey so you can check what the "normal" length and stretchiness of the average stitch is).

    Happy Sewing.

    ReplyDelete