Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The way you make me felt

Look what I made!

I found this great tutorial at Not Dabbling in Normal on how to turn a men's Extra Large Knit Jumper into a felt bag.

The tutorial shows you all you need to know but you can follow me on a visual journey through my process.











Find yourself an Extra Large Men's Knitted Jumper. Here's one I found earlier:


Put it into your sink/tub/bathtub and drown it in boiling water. I did this for 10 minutes.


Chuck it in the dryer for 20 minutes.


It appears to have shrunk but I can still see all the stitches. Next trip to the sink. This time I left it for 20 minutes.

Chuck it in the dryer for another 20 minutes.


Hmm it's still shrunken, but I can still see the stitches. Next trip to the sink. This time I left it for an hour. Take that jumper!

Miracle of miracles it's starting to look like felt! Hooray!


Chuck it in the dryer for 20 minutes (again).

And now it's ready to turn into a bag. Cut off the arms and draw the shape of the straps onto the body of the jumper.

Felt Bag How To
Felt Bag How To

Take one of the sleeves, cut it along the sew line and lay it flat. Cut out a the top length of it to fit the base of your bag (6-8 centimetres, your choice really)

Felt Bag How To

This is the point at which I realised it looked much cooler when I turned it inside out. That's it, it shall now be a reverse jumper bag.

Felt Bag How To

Turn it inside out and pin the base to the bottom of the jumper. I handstitched the entire base with a rolling stitch which actually turned out to be subtle enough that I could reverse the bag if I really wanted to.

Felt Bag How To

TA DA! I got me a funky felted bag!

Felt Bag How To

So now that you have seen my trial and error version of this bag here's what I suggest you do.

1. Find an extra large knitted jumper.

2. Drown it in boiling hot water for anywhere between 30-60 minutes (mine needed much longer because it was a really chunky knit). Check it every now and then and if you see that it's starting to felt up to the point you can't see the stitches it's probably ready.

3. Put it in the dryer.

4. Cut out the shape you want plus the base.

5. Sew it together and voila!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment