Sunday, November 7, 2010

Blue Singlet Top Knock Off

Old Navy
Me!
I found this great singlet top on Old Navy and spent some time thinking through what I'd need to do to make it myself. Especially since I have a considerable stash of lightweight jersey (in many colours). Seeing as this blue jersey was the leftovers after making another top I considered it a good sacrifice if it all went pear shaped.

I didn't have a pattern for it but somewhere in my mind it seemed do-able if I traced the basic shape from my Lydia pattern from BurdaStyle. I changed the neckline and made sure the back neckline sat higher than the front like in the picture. I made two ruffles and sewed them to the wrong side of the front piece and flipped them over so I'd have a nice seam across the neck. Then, getting all ambitious on myself, I decided I'd add some tie up straps instead.

Some thoughts on the process:
- I had to pin the ruffles on 3 separate times. Once because I had pinned the long ruffle onto the top before the small ruffle. The second time because I had attached both the short and long ruffle with the right side facing the right side of the front piece (which was going to mean my ruffles would sit on the inside of the top - problem much?). Turns out third time is lucky!
- I made the straps too wide - not that anyone else would notice - but details!
- The neckline of the top is way to bulky even after pressing it. I got a bit ahead of myself and sewed it altogether without thinking about clipping back the bulk along the neckline. It's now tucked away where I can't get to it to do anything about it.

Although considering I didn't really work from a pattern for the most part I'm pretty proud of how it turned out!

2 comments:

  1. I like it a lot! The fit is great and the ruffles are cute, I'd definitely buy your top if I saw it in a shop! You should make some more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be proud - you have a cute top and you have learnt heaps by working it out yourself! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete