Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Herringbone Scarf


Once upon a time I had a dream to learn to knit. My mum sat down with me and taught me to cast on and do knit stitch and purl stitch and suddenly the world opened up. You mean once you know how to do one stitch you can just do it over and over and over and over in the shape of a rectangle and out pops a scarf?? Fabulous.

Not being content with starting out slow and steady and all that stuff I found myself wandering around the internet in the hopes that I could teach myself to knit the herringbone stitch. After watching a couple of youtube clips I got all confident and started my very first scarf this way.

The only downfall to this newfound hobby is that this photo above constitutes hours and hours and hours and hours of my life. In fact it took so long I got cranky, hid my knitting and forgot about it until I was packing up to move.


The silver lining in this story is that I now commute an hour each way to work on the train so I now have a dedicated hobby/"me" time. So I packed up my knitting and restarted it on the train. Which is a great idea until someone sits next to me, at which point I become all elbows and flailing needles and promptly have to stop.


So after a couple of weeks knitting this up on the train I'm finally finished and I couldn't be prouder of my new scarf. We actually had a cold snap the couple of days after I finished it so I got to wear it straight away. Cute.

In fact I was so excited about the result I may have started a new one!


Cold weather come at me!

8 comments:

  1. It looks great! Well done. I need to add that stitch to my "to learn" list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was much easier to learn than I thought and you get up a rhythm once you're used to it.

      Delete
  2. Your scarves are fantastic! I haven't come across the herringbone stitch before, so I'll have to check it out. Re train knitting - what about using circular needles? They can be used for knitting flat and in the round, and you wouldn't have to worry about accidently prodding the person beside you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm still a little overwhelmed by knitting and the idea of knitting on circular needles scares me a little.
      But I'm sure it's just because I have no idea how to do it.
      I might go look that up.
      Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  3. Perfect scarves for our cool weather that has suddenly hit and you have found another one that hadn't heard of herringbone stitch, off to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's started to hit in the Blue Mountains for sure.
      Happy researching (and maybe knitting)!

      Delete
  4. Lovely work and with winter in the mountains coming up the perfect thing to knit!
    Is not to far travel to the city from there? Anyway, it is a lovely area and I am sure you like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I work in Parramatta so it's an easy commute from home. And when you have knitting to do the time flies!

      Delete