Friday, March 15, 2013

The skirt with leaves on it


I loved my Simplicity 2451 pattern so much I decided to make another one. I got this fabric at a market or op shop for $2 and it sat on my shelf for ages. Possibly because I made a promise to myself to steer clear of prints? So last year.

In all seriousness though I love this print and it's a great skirt to wear with solid coloured tops - which I have a lot of. I won't be swinging back to sewing with prints for a while but this fabric had decided it was time to become something. And so I listened.


It was really easy to sew up especially since it's my third time making it (shhh). It has french seams throughout except for the waistband because it hurt my brain to think about french seaming a curve across 3 panels and then sew through that enclosed seam when dealing with the zipper. So the waistband has pinked seams.


It's a little bit crinkly. Possibly because it's just so damn wearable and I didn't want to stop wearing it long enough to take photos of it. So there you have it - a new skirt with leaves on it just in time for autumn (totally planned that).

I think this kind of project reminds me why I sew in the first place. To create basic clothes that fit me well, go with everything in my wardrobe, are extremely wearable, and say something about me as a person. I call this project a win.

12 comments:

  1. What a find! Looks like a good pattern, and certainly very wearable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too! Yeah it's a great pattern and just between you and me I'm not sure if this is the last version I'll make!

      Delete
  2. That skirt and fabric combo totally suit each other! It looks beautifully made, well done you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Juliet! Yeah it's one of my favourite patterns. The skirts always turn out so wearable.

      Delete
  3. This is really cute! I just purchased this pattern recently and can't wait to sew it up now (as soon as the weather gets a bit warmer here anyway).

    P.S. Awesome blog name! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah it really is such a great pattern so never fear if you have lots of variations in mind. More than likely you'll come back to make them all from the one pattern.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Wonderful skirt and perfect for Autumn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon! Yeah I think it will get worn a lot.

      Delete
  5. This is a great skirt. I love the leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's still warm enough to wear it which is good.

      Delete