Thursday, May 16, 2013

Faux Leather Accent Top



I foresee a lot of warm tops in my future and I wanted to kick it off with this ponte top with faux leather accents and patch pocket.

I found this top online and pretty much copied it straight.



I used my trusty Lydia Pattern which I've made here,  here and here just to name 3 out of the 10 versions I've made so far.

This time I used a ponte knit which I stitched up on my new Aldi overlocker. Which, by the way, I am finding to be ridiculously awesome. If you don't yet own an overlocker, you should. The end.


The faux leather accents were pretty easy to draft up although I wish I had have sewn this patch pocket just a little closer into the centre front. Next time gadget.


Unfortunately my regular sewing machine wasn't talking to me at the time so I did some epic hand stitching to get these patches on. I also handstitched the neckline because I just didn't want any more arguments from my machine. It had attitude.


And there you have it another wardrobe staple for the impending doom winter in the mountains.

6 comments:

  1. this is lovely! just like your inspirations top. great work! (i want an overlocker)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah I held off buying one because they sounded scary and everyone complained about rethreading them and getting the tension right. Turns out they're easier to use than I thought and you can sew something up in about half the time. Huzzah!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE this! It's really fab!
    I half wish I'd bought an overlocker at ALDI when they had them, but I decided to save my pennies for when I actually have space for one and I'll get a fancier one then

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah I was happy just to have a basic overlocker and it's made sewing very fast! I think you did the right thing in saving up for a better one though if you want more functions. I'm sure one day I'll want it to do more than it does now but I'm blissfully ignorant at the moment.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic top and you have done an excellent job with all the hand-stitching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yeah it was tedious but I think it's just as good a skill to acquire as sewing with a machine so I'm happy.

      Delete