Friday, May 10, 2013

The Midi Skirt that almost was


A couple of weekends ago I attempted to make myself a Midi Skirt to see me through Autumn. I'd had this mystery fabric in my stash for about a year and I wasn't sure what to make out of it. It was originally going to be a summer dress but I kinda didn't sew much this summer so I thought a longer skirt might suit seeing as the fabric is quite light.

I used a pattern I found in an op shop that I got for 25c. Hooray! It's the one on the left below.


It didn't come with instructions but it was such a simple shape that I could guess my way through it - and I don't always follow instructions anyway.
In fact I sewed most of it in one afternoon until tragedy struck...


The fabric had just disintegrated in a whole section of the back piece! I still don't know if it was the iron being on too hot or just unstable/cheap/old fabric. Of course, being stubborn, I soldiered on and ironed on some interfacing on the back of it but to no avail. It was over and my whole afternoon of hard work was wasted.


In a way I'm a bit glad because part of me thinks the skirt looks a little Amish on me. The rest of me is letting go of a failed sewing project and hoping the next one works out.

Bummer.



12 comments:

  1. Let go...your next project will be better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, there will always be another sewing project!

      Delete
  2. What a shame after all the work you put into it. Could what's useable be turned into a shorter, narrower skirt? After it's had time to think about what it did first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may attempt to use the fabric again but I think it needs to sit in the corner for a while and think about what it's done.

      Delete
  3. Awww. Sorry :(

    Maybe you can make a simple shell/tank out of the remaining pieces since they're nice sizes still??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps. I do need to let it go for a while.
      On to the next project!

      Delete
  4. so sad!!! and it was only in that one spot? wonder what was up with that fabric... =(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I've never seen it happen.
      A couple of people on twitter tried to convince me it was beyond saving because they'd seen it happen before.
      Strange.

      Delete
  5. How frustrating! I love the skirt though, those pockets are the best part. You must make it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah you're right. I got so cranky at the fabric that I didn't think about making the skirt again in a different fabric. I'll add it to the (long) list.

      Delete
  6. Ergh. That sucks :( Burn it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, thoughts like that do go through my head when they don't work out!

      Delete