Friday, May 10, 2013
The Midi Skirt that almost was
A couple of weekends ago I attempted to make myself a Midi Skirt to see me through Autumn. I'd had this mystery fabric in my stash for about a year and I wasn't sure what to make out of it. It was originally going to be a summer dress but I kinda didn't sew much this summer so I thought a longer skirt might suit seeing as the fabric is quite light.
I used a pattern I found in an op shop that I got for 25c. Hooray! It's the one on the left below.
It didn't come with instructions but it was such a simple shape that I could guess my way through it - and I don't always follow instructions anyway.
The fabric had just disintegrated in a whole section of the back piece! I still don't know if it was the iron being on too hot or just unstable/cheap/old fabric. Of course, being stubborn, I soldiered on and ironed on some interfacing on the back of it but to no avail. It was over and my whole afternoon of hard work was wasted.
In a way I'm a bit glad because part of me thinks the skirt looks a little Amish on me. The rest of me is letting go of a failed sewing project and hoping the next one works out.
at 9:19 PM