Sunday, August 18, 2013

Geometric Ponte Dress


I loved my Frankenpattern of the Plum Ponte Dress so much I decided to make another one right away. This time I used a geometric Ponte that I bought in a bulk order from fabric.com. Even though I buy fabric off the internet frequently I'm always a little worried about what it's going to be like once I receive it. This particular fabric is exactly the same quality as the Plum Ponte I bought from Lincraft. It's soft and thick and snuggly.


I did anticipate this looking much more geometric than zebra print. I was a bit disappointed when saw it in real life and wondered how I was going to pull off a zebra dress. I am not an animal print kinda person. I thought if I spent some time with the fabric - cutting it out, sewing it up and trying it on I might grow fonder of the print. Not so.

I'm still a little indifferent.


Don't get me wrong I'm a great lover of Ponte as witnessed with my Black & White Striped Peplum Top, my Faux Leather Accent Top, my Plum Ponte Dress and now this one. And I love the shape of the dress. I love how the pleats fall and the half circle back piece falls too. It's just the print.


I'm sure, as with my Plum Ponte Dress, this will become a staple piece in the windy August/September weather. So I'm not worried about wearing it. It's too snuggly not to! It just won't get as much attention as my other dresses. And that's cool. We can just hang out sometimes. Like acquaintances. Facebook friends rather than real friends, you know?

14 comments:

  1. I really like this dress. Who knows when you wear it and get a couple of compliments you may change your mind : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think it deserves to be worn a couple of times to get used to the print.
      Hopefully we'll get along.

      Delete
  2. This just looks like a perfect go to dress- I've got to start cruising the ponte aisle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've discovered Ponte is underrated!

      Delete
  3. I've not used Ponte before. I think the dress is really pretty! I can definitely see the geometric aspect of it. I don't see zebra due to the lines going in various directions and also because it is not black and white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love Ponte (as you can tell), it's great for autumn and spring.
      I like you're thinking, it can't really look zebra-ish until it's white and black. This makes me feel better.

      Delete
  4. You've done some beautiful pattern placement on the bodice! It looks lovely, but sadly sometimes the things we make are not as prefect as the images in our heads. I'm sorry that this dress is one of them, hopefully it will grow on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's not the first time that I haven't adored what I've made but luckily it's super wearable and warm.
      I hope it grows on me too!

      Delete
  5. I know what you mean about prints that do not look the way you expected when made up, even though this is a nice dress. Maybe throw a black cardi or fine sweater over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I think that might be the way to go.
      Black cardi will tone it down and make me feel better.

      Delete
  6. I don't think it's too zebra print-y at all. I think it could definitely graduate from facebook to real life friend I can totally see you in it.

    Ponte is a thick knit right? Maybe the real question should be - What is ponte exactly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah as far as I know it's a double knit.
      I really should learn more about fabric in general! (but how does one do that??)

      Delete
  7. I don't think it looks like a zebra print. If it was black and white then yes, but I thought of it as a geometric pattern when I first saw it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I've since worn it a couple of times and it's warming on me.

      Delete