Sunday, November 24, 2013

White Cotton Alma


Here she is, my first Alma. Never mind that it took me 5 weeks to sew her. Never mind that she's not perfect like she looked in my head. She's finished and that's all that matters.

I bought this pattern with the intention of pairing it with some light weight cottons for some spring/summer tops. I liked the idea of having some light coloured tops to pair with darker skirts and shorts for maximum wearability. This particular fabric wanted to be made into an Alma first. Mostly because I had this idea of a super light white top I could wear on those stinking hot summer days.

I washed a whole lot of my cotton fabrics in one weekend but it wasn't until I ironed this one that I noticed just how heavy the embroidery makes the fabric. It worried me to add a Peter Pan collar to that as well as a gathered sleeve plus a lightweight cotton lining. So much bulk, was it going to work out?

Since I was too impatient to make a muslin I figured I'd just barrel on with this fabric and call it a wearable muslin if it didn't turn out properly. And a wearable muslin it became.


It doesn't look too bad once it's on. I know this pattern needs an SBA before I use it again but I do like that it came out big enough for me to put it over my head without an invisible zipper. I quite like having it a little roomy so it's not too hot in summer.


The collar is quite bulky which is noticable when you get up close (or if you happen to be the one wearing it) but I like the top enough for that not to bother me.


What I do love is how neat the innards are. This is the second time sewing up a Sewaholic Pattern and both of them have been dreamy to sew. In fact I've just cut out my fabric for my first Cambie (get excited!) after making not one but two muslins. See I do make muslins sometimes.


You might be able to see in this above picture that I lined it with lightweight cotton so there was no need for a facing. However I did topstitch these two layers together underneath the collar just so it wouldn't move around on me. I even lined the sleeves just so it was even all over instead of having sheer sleeves. Not that it would have mattered too much but it's the little things right?


I also opted to use bias binding on the hem instead of just a regular hem because it would have been really bulky to fold both layers up and then again before stitching it. I really didn't want to deal with that bulk around my hips.

So there you have it. Despite it needing improvements I do love the top and it's such a great basic I'll still be wearing it a lot. I look forward to playing around with an SBA on such a simple design for the first time. It should give me enough confidence to do this on all my patterns in the future. Stay tuned because there will be a lot more Alma's coming into my wardrobe before summer ends.

21 comments:

  1. That is just gorgeous. You've inspired me to make my own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a really cute top, I really love your fabric choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's nice to have a plain white top in my wardrobe but the embroidery means it's not a yawnfest.

      Delete
  3. Cute! I just purchased this pattern! It's winter time here, so I will be trying the long sleeve version first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a great pattern! The long sleeve versions look great as well.
      I look forward to seeing what you make from it!

      Delete
  4. Very cute!!!! Bring on summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mega cute! I love a crisp white top in summer. Looking forward to versions two, three, four etc......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to making this pattern again and again so I'm glad you're ready for it!

      Delete
  6. Adorable fabric - love the 'eyes' - and that she's lined ;) I look forward to hearing tales from another who is new SBAing everything ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think it will become a summer fave.
      I'm glad I'm not the only one tackling the SBA problem - solidarity sister!

      Delete
  7. Really pretty. I have a second one in mind which I must just get on with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alright, the race is on for the second Alma!

      Delete
  8. I think your top turned out great - the right length and looseness for a hot summer day. I should do SBA too but I find it easier just to wear a push up bra ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha yeah that always helps. I think this version will be nice and I'll do some tighter versions in lighter fabric.

      Delete
  9. Looks great! Good luck with the Cambie. I made a couple of muslins too for that pattern, it's worth the time and effort when you get a great fit at the end! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm glad that of these two patterns I chose the Cambie to muslin.
      I'm hoping it turns out ok in the end. Stay tuned!

      Delete
  10. Oh, I think it looks fantastic!! Love the textured fabric, really pretty. Nice job! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I can't wait to make some more things to wear it with!

      Delete
  11. Great little top for summer, love the textured fabric and you tamed the thickness very well.

    ReplyDelete