Monday, March 10, 2014

Sydney Spoolettes

The blogosphere is an awesome place to hang out but it turns out meeting up "in real life" with fellow seamstresses is pretty damn awesome too.

Recently a whole lot of Sydney Sewing ladies gathered for lunch and fabric shopping in the city organised by Melanie (thanks again!). There was pizza, fabric patting, fabulous conversation and more sewing people than any one person could have a conversation with in the one day. In short it was awesome.

So awesome that we decided to make Sydney meet ups a regular thing.

It's not a new idea. I've been envious of the Social Sewing happenings in Melbourne organised by Rachel for quite some time. In fact I recently crashed one and hope to one day have something similar in Sydney. And don't even get me started on Frocktails!

And then there's The Spoolettes in London set up by Clare of Sew Dixie Lou- need I say more?

So why not steal borrow their ideas and make it our own in Sydney? 

Enter the Sydney Spoolettes!

Our version of the Spoolettes involves a closed Facebook Group for anyone in Sydney that sews. It can also involve any interstate/international visitors who intend to come along to a meet up at some point. We decided to make it a closed Facebook Group so that it can be a safe place for anyone in Sydney to suggest a meet up or organise one as a whole group without a whole lot of emailing back and forth. Check in whenever you want, accept or decline events and come along to as many or few meet ups as you like.

We've already organised and been on a shopping trip to Cabramatta yesterday - thanks for organising it Susan!

So if you're in the Sydney area or would like to come along to one of our meetups come and join us on Facebook and keep up with us. It's such a lovely bunch of people I promise you'll want to come along to everything!

Hope to see you "in real life"!

8 comments:

  1. What a lovely idea! We in Wellington NZ have a group that meets up regularly, we even sew together sometimes!!! I know, crazy!! It is a lovely experience. Have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's so lovely to hang out with sewing peeps!

      Delete
  2. Count me in - maybe one day I'll be in your neck of the woods and be able to tag along! It was so lovely to meet you at Social Sewing the other month :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds great - you can crash our meet ups any time!
      It was great to meet you too - it's been nice knowing someone else is madly making the dress of their life at the same time.

      Delete
  3. Ooooh, now I want to come to Sydney and drop in (although I would probably get shy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come along and crash one!
      I'm a really shy person and it's blown me away how ridiculously comfortable I feel hanging out with all these new sewing friends.

      Delete
  4. I'm going to have to re- join Facebook now after quitting it years ago in protest at the silliness and annoying ness of it all! But I don't want to miss out on any sewing events, they are such fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know a number of people who've done the same with facebook!
      I'm sure we'll put up all the major meetups on blogs but it'd be great to have you on board in facebook so you can have input and make sure the meetups work for you as well.

      Delete