Saturday, October 4, 2014

Making My Wedding Dress: Stop Motion Animation

I've been keeping a secret from you. Just before I started making my wedding dress I bought a tripod and decided to take hundreds of photos throughout the process and knit them all together into a video. The biggest reason for this was something I read in a self help book.

Don't get me wrong I'm really not a self help book kinda person but this one caught me. The book is called The Happiness Project and while most of the book was pretty hard to get through it did make me look at my happiness in a different way. 

She talks about happiness not just being an in-the-moment thing but a 3 part thing. Happiness first starts in the anticipation of something you're looking forward to. In this case planning a wedding dress, selecting fabrics and embellishments, making muslins and looking forward to the moment when you actually get to enjoy this thing you've been waiting for. Then there's the actual happiness of being in the moment. Wearing the dress, sharing it with the world and watching this thing materialise that you've been looking forward to. And finally the happiness in reminiscing about this thing. In this case the lifetime long memories of a wedding dress made and worn on one of the most significant days of your life and caught on camera to look back on for years to come.

This is the thing I wanted to recognise. Making a wedding dress was as much about the journey as the destination. On top of that it will also be about the story I get to tell when I look back on what I've made. 

Since happiness is something that I can enjoy in multiple stages in different ways I really wanted to find the maximum amount of joy out of it. So I made a video. One that captures the joy of the details, the fabrics being prepared, sewn together, adjusted, moulded to my person and finally ending up as something that gets to be worn and enjoyed only for a day but thought upon and shared for many years to come.

That's not to say that this process has all been fun and games. It has not. If you've been following along you'd know that I had to throw out two bodice patterns before my third-time-lucky Simplicity pattern. You might also know I had to throw out two skirt patterns before my third-time-lucky three-quarter circle skirt solution. So perhaps it will come as no surprise to you that I didn't just make one wedding dress bodice or two for that matter. I made three. My third-time-lucky bodice thankfully turned out to be the one. So I guess this is the third-time-lucky third-time-lucky dress. And let's not even talk about my zipper breaking just before I went to hem the dress.

It's been real.

So without further ado here she is, my wedding dress.


I'm scheduling this post to go live right as future me is walking down the aisle in this very dress. You can follow along with some wedding photos by following the hashtag #benbrookwedding.

I'll be back with a little more info on the dress in the coming weeks particularly because this video will show you the most peculiar order of construction I went through to get this together.

Time to dance!

40 comments:

  1. This video is brilliant! And your dress is absolutely beautiful. Hope you have a fantastic day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The day was perfect in every way!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on your big day, Jodie! I hope it is fabulous and full of wonderful memories! And what a labour of love on your frock- it looks gorgeous! (I love the dancing rotary cutter sequence too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah I had as much fun playing with props as I did documenting the actual sewing part in the video.

      Delete
  3. What a fabulous video and yes, something like this is about the journey. I hope that you've had a wonderful day and can't wait to read more about the dress xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirsty it was fabulous! The dress, the ceremony, the reception - loved every second.

      Delete
  4. You've done an amazing job, Jodie! Congratulations on your big day, I had a sneaky peek at the hashtag and you look beautiful! What's the song on the video by the way, I really liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's by Jonsi and it's called Go Do. It just happened to be the album I was listening to on repeat as I met and fell in love with Josh so it has a lot of sentimental value as well. The lyrics are gorgeous though - you should always know that we can do anything, go do - could there be any more inspiring words than that??

      Delete
  5. So much fun! That video was a lovely idea and it looks really good. Congrats on finishing the dress and the video in time for the wedding! (:
    I’m really looking forward to seeing the dress on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, yeah I'm really glad I got the dress and the video finished before the wedding! I had this video playing on loop on my laptop during my reception. It helped a little to answer that constant question - so how did you even make that??

      Delete
  6. What a great idea Jodie, loved it. Hope you are having a fantastic day, I'm off to check IG! Beautiful dress, amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma! It was a beautiful day. There's nothing that could have made the day any more perfect it was magic.

      Delete
  7. Wow! The dress and the video are amazing! Congratulations to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was busy smiling my way down the aisle and my husband was the one welling up as he watched me walk down in the dress. Bless.

      Delete
  8. What a great way to document the process!! It will be so fun for you to go back and watch it. (I may need to think of something similar when I start working on mine.) Thanks for sharing it with us. I hope your day was wonderful! Congratulations again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I would love for you to steal this idea and make it your own one day. Stop Motion videos for all!

      Delete
  9. Wow what a video! That is so cool! Can't wait to see it in the big day ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, It was just as much fun seeing the video come together as it was seeing the dress go together. In my mind they went hand in hand. It was quite a puzzle working out the order of construction plus how I was going to photograph it and keep it still on the table so it would magically sew itself up as I put the pictures together.

      Delete
  10. Wow. That is a beautifully hypnotic video! I hope you've had an amazing day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right it's quite hypnotic! I must say I've watched it a number of times straight through - not even for editing. I'm just so damn proud of this video!

      Delete
  11. What an amazing job! The dress looks beautiful. Can't wait to see pics on you and hear more about it! Hope you had a perfect day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to get all our professional pics back and show you all the details of the dress and of the wedding itself. It was like a fairytale. Magic.

      Delete
  12. Well done Jodie! Being filmmakers ourselves I realize how much work is involved in doing something like that. I am sure you are very happy with the result.can't wait to see the photos though.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was a lot of work but I am so damn proud that I pulled it together. Now let's not talk about the other 15 or so minutes of footage on the cutting room floor so to speak hey?

      Delete
  13. Congratulations, and I can't wait to see you in your Wedding Dress! What a lovely idea of how to document such a happy time in your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right the whole thing is a really happy time in my life and I celebrated it in so many ways. This video is just one of them. I'm so glad it's out now so I can share it with you all!

      Delete
  14. Wow. wow wow wow wow wow. This is quite possibly the best thing i've ever seen on a blog, your video is AMAZING!

    Massive congratulations to you both on your wedding day, I hope the day was as amazing as you are. Looking forward to seeing lots of wedding pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You have no idea how many times I wanted to blurt this out to people at Frocktails! I was right in the middle of editing it and pulling it together and I was ready to burst. So glad it has been shared now - it was SO much fun!

      Delete
  15. What a wonderful idea!!! And so lovely to see it all come together like that. Also, you're WAAY better at keeping secrets than I will ever be! I'm just impressed you were able to pull something like this together whilst you were working on That Dress. And the zipper! NOOOO!!! Ack, that's why I decided to keep away from zips on the bodice... I heard too many disaster stories! Glad the second one managed to last you through the day :) Have a wonderful honeymoon and I'm so very looking forward to reading and seeing more! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yeah it was a really fun part of the process. It was also great because you could spend hours and hours and hours on these little details and feel like you were getting nowhere but once you speed it up you realise just how far you've come. So in a way it helped the momentum of the dress. Yeah I'm SO glad the second zipper was ok, I loosened the bodice a little bit to make sure there wasn't as much stress on the zipper. It did mean I got a few folds in the fabric on the day but at least it stayed together!!
      Can't wait to share all the professional shots!

      Delete
  16. I am totally gobsmacked and a little misty eyed watching your video! Congratulations on your spectacular achievement AND wedding...wishing you many, many years of happiness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The day was a very happy blur!

      Delete
  17. OMG! I've been waiting to see your dress, and it turned out to be absolutely amazing! I can't wait to see more pictures of it.

    I love the video, and the song! I love that I got to see the process, so I can visually see what I'm supposed to do as I'm trying to make my dress. I love your animation, very creative! Your dress, is absolutely amazing! Congrats on your wonderful dress and your wedding! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I made a lot of things up when making this dress so it's probably not a textbook case but it worked for me and I loved it so I can't wait to share more of the details.

      Delete
  18. Awesome on all accounts - congratulations :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your video is such a beautiful idea - and I love the concept of happiness being anticipation, being in the moment and then remembering the moment. So true! You looked stunning in your amazing dress and so very happy - congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm glad I learnt that nugget of wisdom prior to the day so I could come up with this idea let alone follow it through. Bucketloads of happiness over here!

      Delete
  20. Yaaaaaay! Victory! The dress looks amazing and your video really made me smile! So funny with the pliers chasing the boning and swirls of tulle dancing around heehee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm a bit of a nut and it was all a bit of fun! Glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete