Saturday, November 8, 2014

Dandelions Mimi Blouse


Hi there! I'm waiting until I get my professional wedding photos back before I show you proper pictures of my wedding dress but in the mean time I'm officially back to regular blogging and I'm excited to make ALL of the things!

I had intended to make a little summer sundress as my first project but the muslin didn't go so well and then I forgot I needed lining and then I bought the wrong coloured zip - I'm such a rookie after not having sewn proper projects for months! So here I am instead with a summer top.

This is the Mimi Blouse from Tilly and the Button's Love At First Stitch book. I was obsessed with this pattern when I saw the book released and it climbed to the top of my to-sew list pretty quickly. Mostly because I had this Dandelion Cotton Voile in my stash waiting to become a summer top.

I made a size 2 grading out to a size 3 at the hips but I think if I ever made it again I'd just make a straight 2 because it's actually really roomy around my hips which is great news for anyone that's pear shaped and attempting to make this pattern!

I had a few fights with this along the way. Firstly I chose the wrong fabric. Cotton Voile is just a little too crisp for this kind of blouse. It would really sit a lot better if the fabric had even just a little bit of drape to it. As soon as I starting gathering it started to look poufy rather than cute. Then I had a bit of a heart attack when I realised just how big those sleeves on the pattern are meant to be. They nearly come down to Tilly's elbows! Somehow I'd managed to overlook that until it was time to sew them on. I'm kind of glad though because I quite like it sleeveless.

I think I ended up taking 3 centimetres off the armholes to make it sit right but I'd make it 2 or 2.5 centimetres next time because my bra strap peeks out every now and then which I didn't anticipate.



Then I went to slipstitch all the facings down on the inside and realised that Cotton Voile shows every tiny stitch in it, who know? My solution was to measure how wide my buttons were and cut the facings to around that width and topstitch it all down as if it were a placket. I'm quite a fan of topstitching so this was fine by me and in a way helped me with the positioning of the buttons later.

I didn't have enough of this navy cotton to make both sides of the collar so you can see the dandelion print on the underneath but I'm glad I still went with the contrast. I think this fabric would have washed me out too much without the strong collar and button colour.


I'm not in love with the back of this top. When I first put it on it makes my back look pregnant. I'm pretty sure this is a combination of choosing the wrong fabric and having a sway back where fabric tends to pool. I'm going to pat the fabric down along my back when I put it on and hope for the best? God I type some strange sentences into this blog sometimes!


Overall I like this top and I'll wear it over summer because it's light and easy but if I'm going to make a blouse like this again I'm probably going to choose something with darts instead so it's sits on my body properly. It's a cute pattern and great for beginners because gathering is much easier to get your head around than darts in the beginning but it's not really for me.

I happen to be at the beginning of one of those weekends where you have nothing planned and nowhere to be - bliss!! So I'm pretty sure I'll be back really soon with a bunch of new things for my summer wardrobe.

It feels good to be back!

12 comments:

  1. Really lovely blouse, the dark contrast really makes it work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I love the fabric you chose and the black contrast. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the fabric is the reason it didn't turn into a UFO so I'm glad!

      Delete
  3. Hahaha a pregnant back? Noooo I promise it's not that bad. Your blouse is cute! Love the contrast buttons and collar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it got a bit of wear over the weekend. I actually didn't think about the fabric pooling around my back once I was wearing it so that's a plus!

      Delete
  4. Welcome back ,newly wedded lady! This is a rad summery make to get you back in the swing of things. And btw- such a crisp collar! <3!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you. Yeah it's a bit of fun and nice an breezy for the balmy days we've been having already. I'm pretty sure my sewing queue has exploded because of your sewvember idea on instagram - loving it!

      Delete
  5. I like it! It's a perfect summer top! So nice to hear you have more time for again for sewing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's so great to be back to regular sewing! I've never been more inspired.

      Delete
  6. Lovely to see you back and wearing a very pretty blouse that will be nice and cool for summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon, it will be a great little top for summer!

      Delete