Friday, November 21, 2014

Hummingbird Belcarra


I'm back again. This time with a Sewaholic Belcarra blouse made from this great Hummingbird Crepe de Chine I picked up at Spotlight last year. I went back to my original post on planning my handmade wardrobe to see what I originally bought the fabric for. Apparently it was going to be a Deer & Doe Datura. So glad it turned into a Belcarra though. The fabric is perfect for this pattern.

I made my first version of this pattern last year in a black crepe also from Spotlight. It has been the perfect wardrobe filler and I loved the drape of the fabric. Even though my measurements sit pretty squarely in a size 10 I found my first version in a size 10 to be too roomy for my taste. This time I sized down to an 8. Luckily for me Sewaholic patterns are all about pear shaped bodies so I didn't even need to worry about getting the size 8 to sit nicely on my hips. It was already drafted that way.

I did find it super annoying that my bra straps were constantly on show with the first version and I know it's not the fabric. It's definitely the pattern. Luckily it's an easy fix so I was able to grade the neckline portion of my sleeve pieces out to 1cm directly across my shoulders. I can see why this might not have been something that Sewaholic were keen to change about the pattern before releasing it. Once I'd graded the pieces and tried it on I found the neckline quite square-ish. Luckily once you sew your neckline seam it smooths it out so it's more of a curve. It doesn't look quite as flattering as the photo shoot pictures on their website but it's close enough and now I don't have to adjust the top constantly so I'm good with that.

Worn here with my Teal Green Kelly Skirt
I french seamed the entire top and folded the hem up and stitched it. The only thing I bungled up was the neckline. I remembered having trouble with it last time so I tried to outsmart the pattern. I treated the neckline bias cut piece like bias tape and topstitched it down only to find the whole neckline gaping. I ended up folding the neckline over itself and topstitching it down again. Which kind of saved the day although it's a bit dodgy looking in some parts. Note to self. Just Follow The Damn Pattern.



I really love the drape and simple lines of this top and I'll be making a few more before the summer's out. It's a really wearable top and easy to dress up and down.

In other news I got a pegboard in my sewing room and I'm in LOVE. I'm really good at returning my things to their designated spot now. I can find things in my sewing room. Hooray!


I'll leave you with a blurry outtake of what happens when you try to take a photo with a Dalmation puppy.

13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I understand. It's a pretty amazing pegboard ;)

      Delete
  2. Very pretty blouse and love the outtake! Wish I had room for a peg board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Even a small pegboard would allow you to hang just a few tools? Although I do love how epic it is to have all that space and to hang everything so neatly.

      Delete
  3. This is so lovely and looks great with your skirt! I bought a CDC from Spottie a while ago and have a bit of buyers remorse. Yours looks lovely and drapey, while mine, even after pre-washing looks and feels a bit stiff. And I agree with adjusting necklines to cover bra straps. I always seem to have this problem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that sux. Spotty CDC is generally pretty good. Although I got the heads up from Helen at Funkbunny that this fabric is likely to pil. Who knows, perhaps I'll have buyers remorse in a couple of washes time?

      Delete
  4. Melanie Y (Miss Piggy)November 25, 2014 at 10:59 AM

    Your sewjo is through the roof at the moment...how fantastic! I love this top...and your pegboard has me green with envy!

    Are you SURE that's a puppy in your last photo?? He's a blur of speed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lady, your are on sewing fire! Epic work on the bra strap fix- I have this in my to make pile so am taking this advice on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool, it's such a great basic. I think most people I've seen make this had to size down and fix the bra strap issue. I guess if you don't size down you might need to grade the sleeve even more? I'd love to see your take on this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Honestly, it's like an itch I can't scratch at the moment. You want some sewjo? I've got tons! I've got a dress in the works, I just finished a pencil skirt, I'm learning Sashiko and I have a whole bunch of shoe making supplies arriving in the mail really soon. Not sure how I'll find the time in the day to make all this?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh yes I think it looks better as a belcarra. Such cute fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah sometimes the fabric changes it's mind about what to become. But it generally knows best!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this! Looks so nice on you. Am also very jealous of your peg board, I keep all my stuff in a box. In other words, it's a mess haha.

    ReplyDelete