I'm back again. This time with a Sewaholic Belcarra blouse made from this great Hummingbird Crepe de Chine I picked up at Spotlight last year. I went back to my original post on planning my handmade wardrobe to see what I originally bought the fabric for. Apparently it was going to be a Deer & Doe Datura. So glad it turned into a Belcarra though. The fabric is perfect for this pattern.
I made my first version of this pattern last year in a black crepe also from Spotlight. It has been the perfect wardrobe filler and I loved the drape of the fabric. Even though my measurements sit pretty squarely in a size 10 I found my first version in a size 10 to be too roomy for my taste. This time I sized down to an 8. Luckily for me Sewaholic patterns are all about pear shaped bodies so I didn't even need to worry about getting the size 8 to sit nicely on my hips. It was already drafted that way.
I did find it super annoying that my bra straps were constantly on show with the first version and I know it's not the fabric. It's definitely the pattern. Luckily it's an easy fix so I was able to grade the neckline portion of my sleeve pieces out to 1cm directly across my shoulders. I can see why this might not have been something that Sewaholic were keen to change about the pattern before releasing it. Once I'd graded the pieces and tried it on I found the neckline quite square-ish. Luckily once you sew your neckline seam it smooths it out so it's more of a curve. It doesn't look quite as flattering as the photo shoot pictures on their website but it's close enough and now I don't have to adjust the top constantly so I'm good with that.
|Worn here with my Teal Green Kelly Skirt|
I french seamed the entire top and folded the hem up and stitched it. The only thing I bungled up was the neckline. I remembered having trouble with it last time so I tried to outsmart the pattern. I treated the neckline bias cut piece like bias tape and topstitched it down only to find the whole neckline gaping. I ended up folding the neckline over itself and topstitching it down again. Which kind of saved the day although it's a bit dodgy looking in some parts. Note to self. Just Follow The Damn Pattern.
I really love the drape and simple lines of this top and I'll be making a few more before the summer's out. It's a really wearable top and easy to dress up and down.
In other news I got a pegboard in my sewing room and I'm in LOVE. I'm really good at returning my things to their designated spot now. I can find things in my sewing room. Hooray!
I'll leave you with a blurry outtake of what happens when you try to take a photo with a Dalmation puppy.