Sunday, December 28, 2014

Vogue 1247 - it's love.


I've been hearing people rave about this skirt and I've loved pretty much every version I've seen made up but I guess I was too into my love affair with Simplicity 2451 to notice. I used to consider Simplicity 2451 my favourite skirt pattern, my BFF, my TNT but sadly that's all over now. Enter Vogue 1247.

So why is this pattern so good? It fits straight out of the envelope! Let me clarify. I have a sway back and I'm pear shaped and when I tried on my muslin there were no folds or creases to be found. It fits in the right places and skims over things in the right places and it's kind of just the perfect length for summer. I'm not sure what magic Vogue is working in this skirt but I am officially in love. Vogue 1247 is now my BFF and TNT. Like forever guys.


The construction is pretty easy if you carefully mark everything and really read the instructions. It would be a quick little make if it weren't for all the bias binding on the seams but it does make for really good looking innards. So while we're talking about bias binding - check out what I got for Christmas here. A bias tape maker! I love using bias binding on hems and arms holes and I'm constantly on the hunt for nice stuff but now I don't have to worry. This thing can pump out metres of the stuff in about 60 seconds flat. Now I shall bind ALL OF THE THINGS.

And let's talk about pockets. Aren't these great? They just sit there being all inconspicuous-like and suddenly your hands disappear right in front of you. It's like having two tiny Kangaroo pockets.


This pattern includes a 5 centimetre hem allowance which, if I had have used it, would have turned this skirt into scandalous territory even for little 5"2 me. It was pretty much the perfect length before I had to hem it so I chose the skinniest bias binding from my stash and only had to turn it up 0.5cm. I think I might make it a smidgeon longer on my next two versions (yes, there are already 2 lined up, fabrics picked, washed and ready to cut!).

I'm wearing this skirt with one of my recently made Baseball Singlets. It's also a newly acquired TNT so I guess this whole outfit is now one giant TNT outfit. Dynamite.

Since it's been long enough since I've blogged those singlet tops for me to wear them and wash them religiously I thought I'd let you know here that the Cotton Jersey ones are looking a little worse for wear. Their hems stretched out and they're only really good for tucking into skirts like this (which is not such a bad thing). The heavy, woodlands printed cotton jersey one is still pretty good but the winner by far is this one which is made from a brushed cotton lycra. It stretches with you but keeps it's shape and the hem still looks the same as the day I sewed it.

I'm finding the longer I sew the easier it is to narrow down which fabrics I should be using and which ones to pass up. It's taken a long time to get to the point where I can walk into a fabric store and only pick up the exact fabrics that will work time and time again with my patterns but I'm super glad to be at this point. I hope if you're somewhere on your fabric picking journey that this kind of info helps you too!


So let's talk about the one downside to this skirt. The waistband. I didn't sew up the waistband on the muslin partly because the rest of the skirt was already really well fitting and I thought what could go wrong? Also I had enough continuous interfacing for one waistband and it made sense to keep that for the real thing rather than the muslin. I'm bummed I didn't sew it up first though. I found this really great tutorial for sewing this kind of waistband here. I started following the tutorial only to find that my waistband fitted the skirt exactly with 1.5cm leftover on each end for seam allowance. This was a bit of a problem seeing as there was meant to be about 3-4 centimetres leftover so that the waistband would overlap once closed. I wasn't really sure what to do so I just sewed it up with it's seam allowance and tried it on. Of course the top of the waistband is sitting away from my body because it's not right. My temporary fix was to make the top of the waistband overlap by about 3 centimetres and sew a hook and eye to keep it sitting there. It made it better but there's got to be a better way to get this waistband to fit. If you've made the Vogue 1247 and had waistband woes could you let me know what you did to fix it?


All in all this skirt is a winner. I don't have fitting woes and I'm determined to outsmart the waistband so that this becomes the perfect skirt. Stay tuned because there will be a trifecta of Vogue 1247's coming shortly!

13 comments:

  1. It's amazing how many people love this skirt. Welcome to the club!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is the perfect skirt isn't it, love mine and look forward to seeing your other versions. I don't use the waistband as I don't like them and also have lined my linen versions for better wear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in love with this skirt! I've seen so many amazing versions. Yours is gorgeous! I tried to get the pattern in the last sale at spotlight but they didn't have it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very excited to be in this club!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great idea. If I don't figure out how to fix the waistband I'll definitely try it without. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah I had to buy it online and wait weeks for it to arrive but it's so worth it. Love it to bits!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this pattern. I've made the skirt three times. Depending on what you made the skirt in... you could run the zipper up to the top of the waistband which is what S2451 does, doesn't it? That wod get rid of the need for overlapping, hook & bar etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great shape! I love this pattern too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great idea! Why didn't I think of that?! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, it seems to be a winner with anyone who makes it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Every time I see this skirt on the blogasphere I think. "I'm must try to make something similar."Very cute skirt. Great fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, I've watched person after person fall in love with it and after having it fit me straight out of the envelope, which has NEVER happened, I would highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're right - it's a great pattern and fits you perfectly. I need to put this one on my list for 2015. Happy New Year Jodie! Cheers, Kath

    ReplyDelete