Sunday, July 5, 2015

Two Linen Hollyburn Skirts


I love the shape of the Hollyburn skirt. I made this one a while ago but I neglected to cut the two front pieces on the right grain line. I cut them on the fold and ended up with a skirt that had a lot of swish at the side seams but no swish in the centre front. I'd been meaning to sew another one up for ages but it wasn't until I spied this mint green linen at My Hung that it all fell into place.


This pattern is a pretty easy sew except for the waistline for me. I realise this is now a problem area for me after making 3 different types of skirts with straight waistbands. My pear-shaped-ness is most pronounced right at my waist and literally within 2-3cm below my waist my measurements climb rapidly so there's no hope for a straight waistband to ever sit flat on me. To fix the problem on this one I ended up pinning the zipper into place at the back and sewing it in with a 3cm seam allowance at the top, grading to nothing by the end of the zipper. It's a clunky fix and I'd much rather learn to draft a curved waistband so I can do this forevermore but for this skirt (and the one following) it's good enough.


The linen was great to work with and I now understand the crinkle-fest that comes with wearing linen. I adore the mint green shade of this fabric but it's unfortunately a bit sheer so it doesn't get worn as much as my other Hollyburn because of that. I'm wearing it here with a Burdastyle Lydia made in a knit from Spotlight. 


This version of the Hollyburn is made exactly the same as the mint green one. Only this one is a cotton linen blend. I have to say that while I loved working with the linen I enjoyed sewing and wearing this one more. The cotton content means that it doesn't wrinkle like crazy and it has a bit more body to it. You might not be able to tell from these photos but the linen really drapes whereas the cotton linen is just a bit sharper and crisper and has body to hold the silhouette better.

I think if I sew with linen again I'll always try to pick a cotton linen blend.


I love that this skirt is versatile enough that I can wear it in all seasons. The mint linen version got worn more in autumn whereas this navy cotton linen version has been great to wear with tights during winter. I'm wearing it here with my black & white striped peplum top. I went a bit mad over peplum tops 3 years ago and wasn't sure what to do with them now that I've fallen out of love with the silhouette. Luckily they're perfect for this kind of skirt that sits right on your waist and hides the peplum away.


I'm not sure I'm done with this pattern yet because it's just such a great skirt and it fits into my wardrobe really well. Two versions should do me for this year at least though!

7 comments:

  1. Hello just sent you an email with a link for a contoured waist band fix for the hollyburn.

    Steff

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was about to do what Stef said! Lol
    These look lovely on you, especially like the mint

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the way the skirt falls in linen ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two lovely skirts and a great idea on how to wear a peplum top. I don't use a waistband at for my skirts, just add some cotton twill tape (stretching it ever so slightly) to the top seam allowance and turn it under.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! I think the darker is my favourite - mostly because you paired it with stripes but also because limiting wrinkles gets my heart pumping.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks cute!! i definitely like the cotton blend better. but i also prefer navy in general! i have made things from linen which over time became softer and took on their own look. you sort of dont notice the wrinkles after awhile because it just becomes part of the style of the item. If you make up a solution of vinegar and water and spray that onto the linen as you iron it will help take out the wrinkles a little, but it also helps set creases in linen so make sure theres no creases when you iron!

    ReplyDelete